Sunday, July 12, 2015

July 12, 2015 - We have power! (sort of...)

I have this generator that weighs almost 250 pounds.  It will pump water, run power tools, and charge my trailer batteries during construction.  I'll need it for all power until the solar system is installed, and even after that, it will be my backup.

I've hauled it out there for well testing and for working on the outhouse and it's too heavy for me to get in and out of the truck by myself, so I've driven a lot of miles with a big ol' generator in the back.

No more.  It now has a little house of its own out on the property, and even has a wire buried in a shallow trench out to the well.

The box is bolted to buried concrete blocks and now sports a big padlock, so a thief will have to work a bit to get at it.

Ace - assistant gen-box installer
Exhaust comes out of the front of the genset and enters that recess in the door. It's deflected downward and exits right at ground level in front of the box.


Cooling air comes in the back from a similar recess, the machine's own fan moves the air over the engine and it exits out the front along with the exhaust. There is also room for some heat to escape from under the lid, even when it's closed.

The reason for all this diversion of the cooling air is to reduce the noise level. On a 90-degree day the temp under the lid was well in the safe zone, but I might install a little fan inside anyway to help make sure the exhaust doesn't collect in the box.

Here's the generator's previous home, parked out at the well:




No comments:

Post a Comment