Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Starting to look like a porch


That stack of triangular things in the foreground is the set of trusses for the back porch.  The truss company takes your drawings and makes up a kind of kit, and when the carpenter puts the kit together, you get a porch roof like this one.






400 Pounds of concrete and probably another 100 pounds of dirt in the hole will hopefully keep the light pole standing. 










The back half of the house will have a nice walk-around (as long as you're no taller than me) attic.




Lots of colorful plumbing.  It's called PEX and it's cool stuff.  Definitely easier to install, and modify later if necessary.



Everybody's taking a few days off for the holiday now, including me, although all the windows are being delivered tomorrow, but they'll just get stored in the shop until the framing is done.  I'm about a third of the way through the shop-door-building project, so I might get back on that some this weekend, but then again, I might just be lazy.

Every evening Molly and I walk around the property, at least down to the mailbox and back, and tonight as the sun was going down, I brought along the binoculars to get to know the surrounding hills a little better and see if I could spot the border fence.  Across my field of vision I saw a beautiful red-tail hawk making circles over the property and landing in one of our oak trees.  I decided maybe Molly should go back in the trailer....  But after I tucked her away, I looked for the hawk and he was gone.

Happy Thanksgiving!
-G

1 comment:

  1. Still looking good old friend! You are looking good too, so relaxed. It's good to see, J.

    ReplyDelete