Sunday, February 21, 2016

A Day in the Life of a Gentleman Farmer

It's Sunday and I'm supposed to be resting, but I'll rest when I'm dead. It's true I'm not really a farmer, (or a gentleman for that matter), but I did a few semi-agricultural chores today, including but not pictured an hour or two of weed whacking to try to knock down some of the foxtail grass that produces a crop of dog-deadly burrs every year.


Two plowed* fields

I probably won't actually plant a crop (since I'm not a real farmer) but wanted to turn under some of the wild grass and give the gophers something to think about.

That's the full moon coming up over the hill.

*I only have the ripper shanks on the old Ford's drag, but they stir up this sandy soil.


One Stuck Tractor

Did I mention the soil is really sandy?
Luckily the floor jack was handy.


Hearty Farmhand Lunch

Awesome flapjacks.


Two Actual Plantings (rose bushes)

Complete with home-made gopher shields.





















About 20" in the ground, closed bottoms of course, and about 4" above ground.


Maybe some day they'll partially block the view of the propane tank

3 comments:

  1. Doing a great job farmer Williams. I love the tractor. I'd let you have my plough if I could afford the freight - and of course you agreed to spell it properly. What is it with you colonials and our language! J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, it was a long trip over here on the Mayflower, and after weeks at sea, we can't be expected to remember all the odd places you people put Os and Us and Hs... The word is Plow. Like Ow, or Cow, or Now... not "Pluff" Do you plough your fields so your "coughs" can have good grazing? And while we're on the subject, how are we supposed to remember when ough is pronounced uff... as in enough, or tough, or cough.. (oh wait.. that's yet another one)?

    We didn't come all the way over here for religious freedom (we wanted to practice our own brand of religious persecution). We came here so we could spell things correctly, y'all...

    Your beer is better. I'll give you that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, you see, I think thou doest protest too much. I think actually with all this building your own estate with grand doors on your carriage house and the planting and landscaping (we won't mention the laundry soap) and the gang you have had toiling for you you have a hankering for the old ways of doing things properly and secretly wanted to call your estate Downton! J

    ReplyDelete