Sunday, April 2, 2017

Porch Rails and Party Lights



The porch has been waiting for some rails to help "define the space," so in honor of the first visit by my good friends Sarah and Scott, all the way from Italy, I hustled up and got them made.


Naturally I couldn't just have plain ordinary rails and balusters, so I incorporated the four-square design element often associated with the Craftsman style.


The rails are purely decorative of course, since the sides of the porch are wide open.  Someday I plan to put a swing on the North side, and maybe some kind of combination bench/firewood box on the South side.


For Christmas, Jami had given me a set of commercial string lights, and I added a smaller set in the back. These are party lights.  Now I need some kind of a lawn or patio between the house and the shop, and I'll be ready for a party!  I've always liked this kind of white, heavy-duty lights, and think they add a festive touch anywhere they're used, even in the daytime.


5 comments:

  1. Wow, just came across your blog and read all the way through in one sitting! I really like your place. I grew up just down the road in Japatul Valley - my sister still lives there. Next time I'm out that way to visit I will definitely try and swing by and say howdy. I ended up in Colorado, which I love, but if I had stayed I probably would have liked to live around Campo or Jacumba. I remember as a kid in the 70s hiking back into Horse Thief Canyon off Lyons Valley Rd and thinking, this would be a great place to have a cabin, no body around. I was fortunate to grow up with a lot of freedom to roam those hills and that love of freedom to roam and remote and rugged places has never left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Doug. I know what you mean about freedom to roam. I grew up in Illinois, so didn't have canyons, but I had forest, and it was a great place to be a kid. I've been to Japatul Valley a couple of times, and from what I've seen, it's just beautiful. Campo's pretty nice too - people think of this area as desert Mexico del Norte, but I'm at 3000 feet, surrounded by oak trees. Come on by for a visit some time!
      -Gary

      Delete
  2. Love this house!! This would be perfect for me when I retire. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan! I'm retired and it's perfect for me!

      Delete
  3. Love your home. Love the floor plan and your cabinets. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete