Thursday, December 7, 2017

A New Piece of Furniture

Firewood is a necessity in an off-the-grid home, but it's so messy. I've heated a couple of homes with wood, and piling logs next to the stove leaves dirt and wood crumbs all over the floor.

So I put on my inventor's cap.  Here's what I came up with.


The heart of the piece is a heavy-duty canvas bag for bringing in the night's wood from the porch.  Because it's a bag and not just a sling, it keeps all the mess contained.


To make the bag hold its shape so it would slip into my cabinet, I made a plywood inner box that stays inside the bag.






























The top drawer holds home-made fire starters, lighters, gloves, etc. and the bottom drawer is for kindling.



Now I need some kind of box for the porch so I don't have to go out to the woodshed in the dark of night.



Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment