Friday, April 13, 2018

Redneck Recliner

During construction of the house, the carpenters taught us how to kick back in a wheelbarrow.


Good Bro-in-Law Danny liked it so much, he and sweet wife Jo bought me a new one as a housewarming gift.


When Danny came to visit me recently, we decided to get fancy and we made wood slats to go in the new "redneck recliner."  Each slat had to be scribed, beveled and fitted, one at a time, so it kept us entertained for several hours and several beers.


Varrnishing all four sides of the wooden handles presented a challenge, solved by these little jigs.
Dan suggested I paint the tub in a cool brownish red called "Caliente," which was Benjamin Moore's Color of the Year this year, but my local farm supply didn't have that, so I got something I like just as much if not better:

International Harvester Red
An appropriate color for a Redneck Recliner!
(Sorry Kenny and Joy... John Deere Green was my first idea, but the red goes better with my rug...)

Between what my mama taught me and a few YouTube videos, I managed to make some cushions to finish off the project. Surprisingly comfortable!


My ship

Danny wasn't the only one to visit me recently.  Old buddy Bruce came down from Washington for a few days and we made a Plexiglas case for the ship model he built for me a few years ago.  It's a 52" long replica of the destroyer I served on in the 60s.  Went around the world in that ship.



The beautifully detailed model occupies a place of honor in my study/guest room.



Gluing Plexiglas requires injecting water-thin glue using a syringe and needle.  Luckily Bruce is a retired veterinarian.


USS Davis DD 937 as configured for Vietnam, 1966

No comments:

Post a Comment