Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Something old, something new

I've been anxious to get some tools in the shop and get to work on the things I'm signed up to build, starting with the big nine-foot-tall shop doors.  The boys obliged by putting the skin on the shop first, but the roof won't really be waterproof until the shingles go on.  So yesterday, just ahead of the latest Campo rain showers, we got a big tarp up there.  Good timing too, because it rained most of last night and again this morning.

Several years ago, I built a gazebo for my good friends Sherryl and Jerry, and unfortunately this past year a big pine tree fell on it and destroyed it.  Only the deck boards survived, and  with Sherryl's permission, I plan to incorporate many of those boards in the new shop doors.



Running the boards through the planer showed good wood about 1/8" down, with just enough imperfection to give them character.

Before
After

It was so great to be back in the woodshop again after all this time and this operation certainly produced a lot of sawdust!







Since there are no doors or windows, I board them up at night.  That's a window on the left wall.

Here's what I'm hoping the shop doors will look like 


Wish me luck!

5 comments:

  1. Think I'd like to be compared to your wood supply "with just enough imperfection to give me character". Good luck! J

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and me, mate! Some of us have more... character.. than others...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Battered but serviceable...that's me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, not sure what happened to my comment so I'll try again....
    It's lookin' nice, Gary. One question: does your planer blade have nicks, or are the marks on the finished surface just part of the original deep texture of the boards? In any case, you'll end up with some very nice doors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike. Welcome! Your comments don't show up until I, Exalted High Commissioner of Sabado, approve them. That way we keep out the riff-raff.

    Yes, my old planer has nicks in the blades. Good eye to pick that up from these photos. I spent about an hour and a half on each panel with a random orbital sander, starting with 50 grit, so they're nice and smooth now. Still lots of character, but not so rough.

    Did you go back to the first post to see the house design and the layout of the property?
    Glad you dropped by.

    ReplyDelete