Friday, November 24, 2017

Now I can call it a bungalow...


A very common feature of the old Craftsman bungalows is the bookcase colonnade. It made a nice transition from the front parlor to the rest of the house, defining the room without using a solid wall.









Since Sábado wants to be a real bungalow when she grows up, she needed to have a real colonnade, complete with overhead beam, side beams, and leaded glass doors.

So I built one.


Here it is




The Beam

First order of business was the overhead beam.  I thought it needed a carving and the house needed kind of a motto, so I chose a lyric from an Irish folk song.


The letters are hand carved with chisels in a font that I thought looked kind of "Craftsmany."



I hired a great local craftsman named Paul Bloomquist to do the "double house" leaded glass for the doors.  He did a wonderful job. You can't see it in the photos, but the glass itself is antique style, with very subtle imperfections and a few little bubbles.

 

  


Next Project:

A firewood box. Stay tuned!





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Gary. I love what you've done with your home. You woodworking skills are fantastic. I'm glad I could help with the colonnade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. I'm sure there's a story behind "pbfishtaco..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Gary, that really turned out nice! I enjoyed our visit in September when I stopped by. Your place is really turning out great!

    ReplyDelete